New Tome Patch

So... tomes make content too easy, partly due to tomes being released, solution chosen was to beef up content like thaz and whatnot to bring it up to par. i support those changes, but now tomes get nerfed too? making it harder both ways seems like too much.

I don't care one way or the other, just kind of surprising to see it without a CAPS LETTER WARNING ON THE FRONT PAGE BEFORE IMPING IT SO THAT PEOPLE DONT FREAK OUT

Apparently Allielyn reply got deleted but whatever.

What made you feel that particular 5 % was the way to go and why did you put it in the first place ?

As loathe as I am to admit it, Manguadi pretty much nailed it on the head in the other thread. This frightens and confuses me.

The power level is going up no matter what, and we felt it was the time to revisit the Codex of Power... hind sight being 20/20 we can safely say that the Codex of Power was a good idea, poorly implemented. For these reasons and more.

• 1 stop power increase, we should have split it up like originally intended (melee dmg one, healing one, nuke one, mitigation one etc)
  • The split up tomes should have, individually, cost far less exp.
  • The tomes should have given less benefit.
  • The tomes that were store bought should have cost far more platinum to act as a high end plat sink

As said hind sight is 20/20, but rather than do something obnoxious like remove them and make you do the new ones from scratch, we do the only viable option, 3. I assure you, in less time than you think, you'll make up the 5% loss (and in cases such as chanters, by quite a lot, quite a bit sooner).

The nerf assists in making alternate paths of power gain a bit more even. 4% codex of power, or 2% to fire damage for significantly less AA's? If you are a rogue probably not, but if you are a magician, that may be a bit tempting. 4% codex of power, or bumping up the FT cap... or crit cap... or hidden strength... what about a new style? Or a resist adjust? Or a bonus to charm mob dmg? A tome that causes a benefit from over heals???

Will this idea work? Maybe. Will it be more interesting? Definitely. Will it help you overall, more than the 5% you loss? Eventually yes. It hurts now, but the point of the codex of power was a nice bonus for extra exp. The point of these tomes are more AA like.

Hopefully that clarifies the decision process a bit. We lower the 'general good at everything for most people tome, and provide to you more specialization based tomes, and hopefully this leads to a better experience for everyone.

edit 1: Spelling and link to other threads relevant post.
edit 2: Grammars.

Last edited:
As loathe as I am to admit it, Manguadi pretty much nailed it on the head in the other thread. This frightens and confuses me.

The power level is going up no matter what, and we felt it was the time to revisit the Codex of Power... hind sight being 20/20 we can safely say that the Codex of Power was a good idea, poorly implemented. For these reasons and more.

• 1 stop power increase, we should have split it up like originally intended (melee dmg one, healing one, nuke one, mitigation one etc)
  • The split up tomes should have, individually, cost far less exp.
  • The tomes should have given less benefit.
  • The tomes that were store bought should have cost far more platinum to act as a high end plat sink

As said hind sight is 20/20, but rather than do something obnoxious like remove them and make you do the new ones from scratch, we do the only viable option, 3. I assure you, in less time than you think, you'll make up the 5% loss (some classes, such as chanters, by quite alot, quite sooner).

The nerf assists in making alternate paths of power gain a bit more even. 4% codex of power, or 2% to fire damage for significantly less AA's? If you are a rogue probably not, but if you are a magician, that may be a bit tempting. 4% codex of power, or bumping up the FT cap... or crit cap... or hidden strength... what about a new style? Or a resist adjust? Or a bonus to charm mob dmg? A tome that does causes a benefit from over heals???

Will this idea work? Maybe. Will it be more interesting? Definilty. Will it help you overall, more than the 5% you loss? Eventually yes. It hurts now, but the point of the codex of power was a nice bonus for extra exp. The point of these tomes are more AA like.

Hopefully that clarifies the decision process a bit. We lower the 'general good at everything for most people tome, and provide to you more specialization based tomes, and hopefully this leads to a better experience for everyone.

Thx for the insight. The way you spoke up reflects the choices as being a lot more interesting for most of us who have not completed all of the codexes.

thanks cyaine
now i ask, why the hell wasn't this posted two days ago?
was all the confusion really needed? all of the devs and admins must have seen this coming.
poorly handled.

My personal opinion is that Cyzaine's helpful post on why the nerf happened should have been POSTED ON THE FRONT PAGE PREVIOUS TO NERF!! Kind of pissed that it was implemented without anyone mentioning anything, and the players having to find out first hand. Pretty shitty..

My one issue that has not been addressed here (dislike the player nerf but it happens, do like an announcement at the least but that has already been said by others).

Since the nerf was implemented AFTER Hate's Fury A was released will we see a slight(no more than say... 5%) lowering in difficulty of completing said zone? I know that some completed it with extra time to spare but there have been enough that squeaked through barely pre tome nerf. I ask this because it is my understanding that to use the new tomes you will need to have completed HFa.

I'm not one to "rock the boat" usually in such a direct way but this bothers me enough I just had to ask.

I have gone from doing 600 dps to 570 dps, what a transvestite. I mean uh, a travesty. Travesty! I am not wearing women's clothes!

My one issue that has not been addressed here (dislike the player nerf but it happens, do like an announcement at the least but that has already been said by others).

Since the nerf was implemented AFTER Hate's Fury A was released will we see a slight(no more than say... 5%) lowering in difficulty of completing said zone? I know that some completed it with extra time to spare but there have been enough that squeaked through barely pre tome nerf. I ask this because it is my understanding that to use the new tomes you will need to have completed HFa.

I'm not one to "rock the boat" usually in such a direct way but this bothers me enough I just had to ask.

I did this with a group in which only the enchanter had maxed tomes (ravik) and the rest were halfway or less with 15 mintues to spare and Salarus was tanking (t7ish tank.) Not our fastest run, but HF is really less about tomes, and more about not fucking up.

This decision was a kick in the dick to most of the people on the server. Most of them just won't bother posting they're angry about it because it won't make a bit of difference anyways.

While the objective of class equalisation can only be applauded, let me make a prediction.

What is actually going to happen is the melee classes will get a series of useful tomes, caster classes will get rubbish (eg 2% extra on mage fire spells when they never actually cast fire spells - where did I get that example from) resulting in widening differences.

When it comes down to it there are only 2 areas which would be really useful (to me) which are ability to do extra damage and ability to keep my pet alive. By remarkable coincidence, precisely what has been nerfed.

I will be delighted to be proved wrong.

Z (mage)

Well I accept that SOME mages, those with archaics (ie not me) would be able to make use of it on SOME occasions (where rains are appropriate). However mages do not (at least currently) have a decent fire based nuke. If you want to sell something you put your best product in the shop window. If this is "the killer idea" for mages I am not optimistic.

but I would like to say that non-damage-related tome ideas are hard to come up with, so I think things will be okay.

Now here is the nub of the issue. While I agree with the statement FOR CASTERS, it is relatively easy to do so for Melee. eg Improve avoidance, improve stances, improve stamina drain, improve aggro.

Hence my concern that since the thrust is away from damage increases, melee will finish up with obvious benefits, casters will have tomes that, to put it kindly, will be of limited use.

Forgive me for I am old and cynical. I expect the worse and are rarely disappointed.
I really hope I am wrong.

Back
Top Bottom